Monday, September 7, 2009

The Mom's Art of Self-Defense

Two of the things I've learned that I didn't REALLY understand the motivation for until I became a mom:
Moms cut the crusts off the sandwich to minimize the amount of wasted sandwich, not to appease the child.
Making a child wiggle fingers, toes, arms, legs, etc. after bumping them is a distraction technique, rather than a quasi-medical test for broken bones.

I'm not sure what this says most about me. That my parents were very convincing? That I'm very good at overlooking the obvious?

2 comments:

Pa said...

More like, your parents weren't very astute.
I thought we really were checking for correct operation of toes, fingers, etc. so as to know if we would have to try to find the car keys for a trip to the doctor.
And I really believed NONE of the sandwich would ever be eaten if any crust was still visible!

jessica v. said...

I think perhaps you exist in a world of logic, but parenting does not.