Monday, September 21, 2009

1 in 16

1 in 16 is the dilution rate for the anti-Rh E in my blood that is the cause for concern for hemolytic anemia in Twohy. My last blood test (last Tuesday) hit that rate, but OBGYN Hearn had already talked to Maternal Fetal Sciences doctor Mabie, and continued ultrasounds focused on the blood pressure in Twohy's brain are the way to go.
The first ultrasound last Wednesday showed that Twohy is just fine, w/ brain BP of 49, the normal range; 150 would be anemic. So, we just watch and wait. I have another ultrasound and a regular 2-week check up on Wednesday. I don't know if the frequency of the blood tests will go up (they have been once a month), or if now that I have reached the "magic number" it doesn't matter anymore...
Tony is being tested today, I guess to make sure the anti-e antigen came from my last pregnancy. I haven't had any blood transfusions, which is the only other way to get it...

Worst case scenario (not that we're anywhere near this, but I like to know): if Twohy develops anemia, possibilities include delivering him early (he has passed the 28-week viability deadline) or in-utero blood transfusion. Neither is desirable, but they are both common enough to be "normal" for abnormal situations!

BTW the ultrasound last week showed Twohy to be at 3 pounds 8 ounces, again, right on track!

Just another example of our small family's weird karma: nothing HUGE, just weird.

[Here's an article about it, pretty much saying what I just said, but said by a qualified professional.]

3 comments:

wirrek said...

Darn it, I already covered blood in my class!

And good thing you have already hit your deductable.

Juliet said...

Next time you teach that class, I'll sit in. I'm still not sure I understand what's really going on...

And evidently, each of us has a separate deductible. I'm just a little way from mine still... John is covered, and Tony won't reach it. I guess we didn't need to double up on major life events after all this year... I'm still glad we did though.

Tony said...

I can't believe we're having health problems with #2 before he's even born!