Thursday, July 16, 2009

Thursday, 7:51pm

John is sleeping (since about 7:00). Tony and I are with him, I'm planning on working and posting, and Tony is watching "The Incredibles." We went out to dinner at an Italian restaurant in the Best Western motel, about 2 miles from the hospital. It was nice (and yummy). Getting away from the hospital for the first time at the same time as Tony allowed me to lower my defenses a little. I was weepy and then I yelled at a panhandler who tried to ask Tony for money. As he started up his spiel, I yelled "Our kid had open heart surgery three days ago. GO AWAY!" Evidently I had been needing to whip that one out for awhile, because it felt really good...

They took out his pacer wires today in the procedure room on the ward. Tony and I went, Jennifer, Bradley's assistant did it, and nurse Laura assisted. They also removed the big piece of tape covering the chest incision, re-dressed the opening for the chest tube, and removed some tape left over from other stuff. He was anxious, but it didn't take long and he recovered quickly, ceasing to cry by the time we got back to the room. He finally settled for a nap around 3pm, Tony was sleeping, and I went out to the parents room to rest also. He went down for a brief echocardiogram about 3:30pm. After that, his fever started to go up. He had some tylenol, it still went up a little more. Nurse Laura also gave him some oxycodone to help with any discomfort. Tony and I went ahead and went to dinner, and about 7pm, Pa called to say John was sleeping and his fever had come down a little. He still is resisting fluids and food, but he had juice/water earlier today, so he's not completely dehydrated.

I think that's it for today so far. I wish I had a signoff phrase... I'll start working on one for tomorrow.

4 comments:

wirrek said...

So funny about the panhandler, although it makes me a little aprehensive about maybe meeting for dinner on Saturday. Maybe you can incorporate that into your sign off. "My name is Juliet. I am 5 months pregnant and my 3 year old just had open heart surgery."

Carley said...

:)

JPP said...

Hi Tony and Juliet. Great that you got out of the hospital and had dinner together. Thinking of you! John and Vicki

jessica v. said...

We can get you a t-shirt that says that.

Although, it did make me think that that panhandler really needs to reconsider his location. Trying to ply his trade so close to a children's hospital doesn't seem like very good technique? He needs to consider his target market...