Monday, July 6, 2009

Surgery Prep

Well, we're just about a week away. I'm still calm. We've got so much going on before then, that I don't think I will freak out until much closer. We'll see though. I'm very skilled at freaking out, and I have LOTS of practice.

Tony and I have started reading John a book called "Matty's Heart: A Child's and Parents Guide to Open Heart Surgery." It is SOOO poorly written and edited, but it is the only book I've found that is specifically about open heart surgery written for children. Tony and I read through it ourselves several times, highlighting what we wanted to include, discussing how to better word some passages, and re-writing a section to make it apply specifically to the problem that will be fixed in John's surgery.

Overall, we are pleased with John's reactions so far. We've read it three times now. Tony and I picked it the first night. John listened and asked just a couple of questions. The second night, he picked it as one of his two alloted bedtime books and asked more questions, and the third night, he asked lots of questions and at one point said "I'm Matty." Tony and I shared a mental glance at that one, because we haven't started to apply any of this to him directly yet. However, we do point out similarities in what he has already experienced, such as being weighed, having his blood pressure and temperature taken, and the ECG. Every time we read the page on ECG, he tells his own experience very proudly.

We plan to just keep the book in normal rotation for the next week while Tony is in Hilton Head and then when Tony gets home on Friday we'll start explaining that this is going to happen to him, which gives us Friday night, Saturday, and Sunday to prepare.

I worry a little that we are over-preparing, but on the other hand I worry about everything and I know that John tends to be happier and more confident the more he rehearses something.

We also started listening to the relaxation CD. It has two stories, read in a soothing voice, with new age-y music and sounds in the background. We have listened to "The Mermaid" at bedtime twice now. It lasts about 15 minutes and is about John and "his friend" (his baby-stuffed dog Keats), a mermaid, a fish, a blanket on the beach, two birds, and a magic blanket. It's not a thickly plotted tale, just about spending some time relaxing and playing. I don't know if it will help, but it's nice and soothing while you listen to it. When we listen to it with him it usually puts us to sleep.

John has also requested "Berenstain Bears Go to the Hospital," which doesn't exist. Berenstain Bears form a solid part of our reading repertory, and we have scratched the surface with "New Neighbors," "The Truth," "The Gimmees," "The Real Easter Eggs," "Too Much Birthday," "Go to the Doctor," "The Sitter," "The New Baby," "Forget Their Manners," and "Go Out for the Team." I made up a story about Sister Bear going to the hospital for an operation to fix her heart. It's sort of an amalgamation of the other "going to the hospital" stories we've read and the high points we want to get across. He's asked for it twice now, I'm not very good at it, but my audience is kind, if not forgiving. I mean to write it up so that I can get a little more consistent.

So. Tony leaves for Hilton Head on Monday. My parents (Mimi and Pa) are getting here on Monday or Tuesday. Friday is the 20-week ultrasound at the Maternal Fetal Medicine office in Greenville, checking for the baby's sex and his heart. (I'm actually at 22 weeks, it's just hard to schedule.) Friday is also a regular check-up with Hearn, my OB-GYN. Tony comes home from Hilton Head, and our good friends Nicholas and Christine come in from Alabama. Saturday will be a packing day and we'll drop off Keats with Hilary, his "resort manager." (She's much more than a boarder!) And Sunday we leave!
Whew! This week will go by fast once we get started! I'm glad it's working out like this, because it will be easier not to fret since we've got so much going on...

Keep thinking of us and praying for us. We know you have been, and it's definitely been helping. We are very thankful for each and every one of you, and how you have helped in big and little ways!

5 comments:

Christine said...

You guys are doing a great job! I wouldn't know where to start explaining things, but it sounds like you have a good feel for it. We can't wait to see you. Let us know if it is too much, though. Your week sounds super busy. You've got to eat, though, right? You can run us off or cut it short if you need to.

Juliet said...

Thanks! I actually had a line in the original post about not feeling like you had to cancel dinner, but I took it out... Tony said I should have left it in. I think it was "Don't you dare consider canceling dinner after you read this post!"

Jenny said...

Wow! Sounds like you are doing an amazing job with John. And I think you might be doing better than the rest of us! Thanks so much for sharing.

Btw, have you thought about writing a BETTER children's book to discuss this topic?!??? Seems you are the perfect candidate for it...you've got the talent and are living the experience. Maybe something to think about in a few months.

Juliet said...

I have thought about writing a new book, or just offering to edit and proofread that one. It would be hard to write a new one without plagiarizing that one, it does have a lot of good, helpful ideas...

jessica v. said...

Who is the publisher? If it's a small press you probably have a pretty good chance of getting a response from them...I think it's a great idea.