Tuesday, July 14, 2009

7:27pm, John back in PCICU

Ok, Tony and I are back at the hotel, kicked out of PCICU until 8:30pm while the nurses do the shift change. This will probably be the last update for today, unless something unexpected happens.

Basically the slow bleeding after the open heart surgery was enough to "worry" Dr. Bradley, so they took him back into surgery to make sure they hadn't nicked a vein or anything. He came out after about an hour, Dr. Bradley said he didn't find anything specific, just some bleeding near the sites of the sternal staples, so they put a few more stitches in. We got to go back in to see John around 6:15, he looked paler and thinner, but he was sleeping fine. Sarah (PCICU nurse) and Bradley said he looked good and was doing well, the bleeding had slowed, and I got the thumbs up from Bradley. Sarah said Bradley wanted to keep him mostly sedated for the night. Hopefully that means the timing of his breathing trial (to see if he can breathe on his own) will time out well with waking up and the removal of the breathing tube.

He got a transfusion during the first surgery, none during the second, and will probably get some overnight. He has still been getting plasma.

We're glad he's doing better, reaching another good spot in recovery. I think through this whole thing, neither Tony nor I has had any doubts about the competence and confidence of his entire care staff. It just hasn't even been an issue.

Tony is taking a shower and plans to head back for a couple more hours before coming back to the hotel to try to get a few hours rest before John wakes up. I am going to try to get some work-work done so that I can maybe go back with Tony for a little while.

Thanks yet again for your continued support. It really has made the difference.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I thought about all of you all day. My whole church has been praying for you.

Gramma Worthy

Juliet said...

Thanks, Gramma! Tell them all thank you and it definitely helped! My mom and dad have been blessed with extra strength and stamina, and Tony and I have been mostly experienced a quiet calm. (I'm occasionally weepy, but I know any parent will understand that!!!)

Carley said...

Juliet,
I didn't get any of the emails during the day at work but have just caught up. What a tough day. I am praying for you, Tony and John as well as for the staff of MUSC.
Love, Carley