Monday, April 13, 2009

Sympathy for the Common Man

Poor Tony.
He had a very rough day today, at the beginning of a long week that follows a rough week. He has been without hot water for a week and a half now. Today was the day that the new hot water heater was supposed to be installed. However, the one I picked out was the wrong one: too tall and a power-vent model instead of a direct vent model.
After more research, returning the wrong model, calling the gas company, and visiting several water dealer distributors, we have a new one picked out. Evidently there is only one model which will fit our crawl space, and it is the same model we have now. State Industries, 40-gallon, natural gas, direct vent, short model. Unfortunately it has a 6 year warranty (which is the lowest level warranty in water heaters).
Oh well, like I keep being told, "It is what it is."
Hopefully the plumbing contractor can install it on Thursday or Friday...

I'm glad I'm not there, but I feel like a rat leaving a sinking ship...

5 comments:

wirrek said...

Tony can come over for a shower anytime!

And with a gas water heater, couldn't you go tankless? I hear good things about them.

Anonymous said...

I'm doing ok showering at work in a dressing room and at the rec center, too. Thanks!

Juliet said...

I haven't heard good things about tankless. Just that the water does take a minute or two to warm up, and that you lose a lot of water in between...
I think we've found the one we want... we'll see. We're not counting it until Tony is standing in that first hot shower!

jessica v. said...

I think we have a tankless shower - and you do have to let it run a bit for it to get going - or brave the cold bit at the beginning, which I think is what Dad did when he came to visit since I foolishly forgot to warn him about it (sorry Dad). But it's so lovely and warm and just goes and goes without running out. But I don't really have an opinion on it. Just that I REALLY don't like electric tankless shower, which is fairly common over here (Mark's mum has one) and it's fairly crappy in my opinion, in comparison, because the water pressure is really low and it doesn't seem to get super hot...although Mark says that that isn't the fault of the shower, that's more the water pressure in the house, so I just don't know...

Christine said...

We have a tankless, too, and we really like it. It does take about 30 seconds to get going, but then it goes forever!!