Wednesday, April 22, 2009

A new plateau

(Here is Hotwater Camp Day 11)

I am going to venture to say that we are again reaching a new plateau in John's relationship with self-control and discipline. All the talk these days has been about cooperating and manners. He really seems to understand cooperating. He applies it to his own behavior, as well as Naomi's, and is very accurate in labeling what is cooperative and what is not. We also label good and bad manners, but that one isn't as gratifying, because there are so many things that are bad manners! Sheesh.

Along with the understanding of cooperating is the beginnings of awareness of responsibility for his actions. When I ask him to do something and he starts to resist, I say "You can either do this or take a time out and then do this." Usually, if he's not too tired, hungry, or already wound up, he will take a minute and say "I will do this." Then he usually announces, "I'm cooperating, Mama." If he does choose a time out, or is put in one for a serious breach, he usually has a small tantrum in there, calms himself down, and then says "I'm ready to cooperate, Mama." At that point, I go in, and wait while he cleans up the toys he threw in his tantrum.

I am very much enjoying this phase, but am skeptical as usual. The first test of new circumstances will come on Friday with our plane trip!

No comments: