Friday, January 30, 2009

Sleep update

Bedtime went pretty well tonight. He was worn out from a late, abbreviated nap and from playing at friend James's house. (Thank you again, so much, Miss K!!)

We listened to "My Brother," a story song on Diane Ferrlate's "Knick Knack Paddy Whack 2" while he was in the tub. He loves that CD!!! And he listens to it so quietly whenever we play it!

We read two books and then sang "Bob the Builder" twice. It would have been perfect, but he had a milk sippy cup, and we don't let him keep that in bed, so I had to wrest it away from him, causing a meltdown. He pushed out the rail, checked the door, then headed back to bed. The rail was pulling the Thomas bed down, so he called for me to fix it (which I didn't), but he figured out how to get back in bed anyway.

About 9pm, I went in to replace the rail so he didn't fall out again. Evidently he was still awake or in a lucid state of the sleep cycle, because he popped up and said "Stay here." I fixed the rail, told him I couldn't, and let Keats go in the room. (He was camped outside.) He calmed down pretty quick and went back to sleep.

So overall, we're doing very well. So far. As yet. Knock wood.

9 comments:

jessica v. said...

I can tell you're feeling better about things, because the number of exclamation points in the post has gone up from the previous post!

I don't have kids, so my judgment doesn't matter, but I think you're doing a great job and the locking door thing seems perfectly reasonable to me. He obviously doesn't seem too bothered about it, and it seems that you have to draw the line somewhere, and I don't know how else you would do it. It seems far better than chasing after him to put him back to bed however many times he chooses to get up, because then he's making all of the decisions, no one gets any sleep at all, and that just doesn't seem like a good combination!

Juliet said...

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(Put the extra ones here for you!!!)

Thanks for the encouragement. It seems as though people without kids would be more critical of the locking in thing. I think I would have been B.C. (before children).

I have often been in situations now that I have been in before without kids and judged harshly... Just getting my comeuppance!

Anonymous said...

i'm so sorry for all of the bed trauma(?).....yes u r doing great....i'm sorry we were not there but it probably for the best....i wouldn't be able to do what u have done.....we always folded and we had u guys sleeping at the foot of our bed until about first grade.....so i think u r doing GREAT....

we r back - should we try to bring bed before we have naomi or is march 1 or 2 ok...we r planning to head your way after 2/28....and stay whatever works out best.....

jessica v. said...

Wow - first grade?! That's crazy. I think you should have just locked us in!!! :P

Anonymous said...

Any time you can get a kid to do what he/she should do (without whacking them), you are doing great! Helping one learn to abide by rules is kindness, not cruelty. Good going, Julie & Tony!

Juliet said...

Thanks for all the great comments.
We'll see how long this works, but it's working for us now.
Last night he didn't even get out of the bed when Tony left.
Now we have to just figure out how to cut through the crying and requests to stay here when it's time to leave... I think time is the only thing that will solve that one.
Again, when he's 16 WE'LL be begging HIM for us to stay in his room!

jessica v. said...

Yes, that's when you lock yourselves in the room WITH him...

Christine said...

I think you are doing great! Isn't it funny how we are strong when we have to be! Hang in there!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.