Monday, July 7, 2008

Feiste says ...

... that there were two things I HAD to put in my blog:

1) The best potty training is no potty training. Let them train themselves. Which I am very happy to do.

2) We're allowed to have a second child! I must have looked and acted a thousand times better than when we last saw him...

So, today was our two-year, two-week well child visit.
John is now in the 10th percentile on weight (but that was with all clothes on and a diaper full of pee) and is at the 30th in height. Which is down from 50th percentile, but it's also the change from measuring on the table (like a baby) and measuring on the wall (like a big kid). The nurse said she would re-do it, but I told her I would be ok...

Topics covered include changing to 1% milk, drinking too much milk, being a good talker, looking healthy, Feiste's agreement with Malpass on the type/sound of heart murmur, the relative seriousness of open heart surgery (it's come a long way and they have vastly improved techniques in the past 20 years), John's great development, his good-looking circumcision (that comes up at every visit), that Tony and I are good parents (my usual request for reassurance), his fall 2008 run for president, and reasons to have another kid.

John did very well during the visit. He cried when they did the hemoglobin test, a finger-prick. I felt bad because I had told him there wouldn't be any shots. But he cheered up after he got a band-aid for his finger. He also cried when Daddy and Feiste put him on his back to look at his diaper area, but I think that was mostly because he didn't know it was coming. He and Feiste played "Where's your nose, ears, thyroid, kidneys." John will have to work on the thyroid and kidneys, but the way has been paved. The whole experience was so much more pleasant now that John was an active member of the John Penna medical team, rather than us doing stuff to him and him being upset. He reassured me several times that "It not hurt" and "I'm okay." He called Dr. Feiste "Gooberfish" and gave him a hug and a kiss.

I promised Feiste that we would go to him in the future for all our little appointments instead of his practitioners so that we could see him more often. He said that John was the "total package" and that we were his "buzz." I am SOOOOOOO thankful that we have the best pediatrician in the world. AND that he is so gracious about treating ME every time we take John in!

Now we just have to wait for John to get sick again... :)

Go Feiste!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow - i'm so glad that it went so well.....congrats - it looks like your working out is paying off - everyone can tell a difference.....that makes it easier to keep up.....personally i don't see how u have done it for so long....i'm already looking for shortcuts......see u in 2 days...mom

jessica v. said...

Oh man. I like Dr Feiste, I really do, but I was hoping to get the nickname 'Gooberfish'. Dang it!