Monday, March 3, 2008

Mind blowing

So. Tony, John and I are hanging out in the "big bed" (Mommy & Daddy's bed) on Saturday morning, playing the "Where's your ...?" game. We go through the usual list: hand, head, hair, elbow, shoulder, wrist, mouth, teeth, ears, belly, knees, feet. Then we go to "Where's your dog?" "Where's your mommy?" "Where's your Daddy?"

Then one of us asks "Where's your right hand?"
He holds up his right hand.
Tony and I look at each other.
"Where's your left hand?"
He holds up his left hand.
Tony and I look at each other again in disbelief.
"Ok, where's your left hand?"
He holds up his left hand.
"Where's your RIGHT hand?"
He holds up his right hand.
Tony and I stop to discuss this amazing show of perspicacity.

We then start asking him about his left foot, etc. to see if we can really establish he knows left from right. But by this time John has moved on and is not interested in the game anymore.
I still can't/don't really believe he knows his right from his left, but we haven't tested him again since then. Either way, he really blew us away.
Toddlers are so much fun!

3 comments:

jessica v. said...

Did he pick it up from his day school place? I mean, John's a genius, obviously, but it's not so unfathomable that he picked it up from there, is it? Or is the concept of left and right so abstract that it's beyond the ken of an almost 2 year old?

(I genuinely don't know...I've known left from right for a pretty long time now and don't remember the moment of epiphany when it all sunk in).

Juliet said...

I don't know. I don't remember learning left from right until I could look at my hands and see the letter J or L with my thumb and forefinger. So I had to know letters, which he doesn't. (Everything is a 2.)

Jenny said...

i actually remember Julie trying to teach me left and right using the J and L thumb/finger trick and I remember NOT ever getting it. and that musta been when i was like 5 or 6!! but don't use me as an age guide--i'm pretty slow.

I think John's such a genius, he knows exactly what he's doing and he's playing with ya'lls mind now! :)