Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Christopher's Ear Surgery

Well, it's finally done. A week later than we thought due to mysterious childhood virus number 873 (an unexplained 5-day fever).
He went back to school today.
The doctors installed ventilation tubes and removed his adenoids, which is exactly what Tony had. John just had tubes installed. (At almost the exact same age!)
Christopher already seems happier, and is moving around possibly better. But that may just be getting more walking practice. The doctor, a lovely red-head with a warm smile, told us that she got out the gunk (my word, I can't remember hers), and she actually shuddered when she said it. It has to be pretty bad to gross out a doctor whose surgery waiting room has a TV that presents live cataract surgery. Yuck.
Anyway, here are some pictures. Sorry for the blurry ones.
















He had a little bit of difficulty in the first period of coming out of the anesthetic. He wouldn't take any fluids, but later he slowly worked his way through the day eating and drinking in usual Christopher style!

6 comments:

Christine said...

I'm glad it is done. I felt really sorry for all the little kids who were there when I had my tonsils out in February. They just don't know what is going on and are scared because of it. Anyway, it looks like you all got through it and are on to better feeling days for Christopher! Yay!

P.S. Thanks for the drawer tip. I will clean one out in the kitchen and the bathroom so that Olivia isn't always hearing "no."

Unknown said...

wow thanks for the pictures....it look like all went well.....glad he is so much better..mimi

Juliet said...

There were two little girls (maybe 7 or 9 years old) having their tonsils out who were in the recovery room. Evidently tonsils coming out are much worse. I'm glad it's behind us too!

Andee said...

The tubes and adenoids surgery is the new "it" thing. ;-) Kyra had her taken out at 4, which I think was more difficult because of her age. She still gets really bad ear wax, which I was hoping would not be the case. But she can definitely breathe better at night and can hear better!

Juliet said...

Wow, who knew that the Pennas would be surgically hip?!
That's my new band name, I think.

Jenny said...

such a sweet picture of tony and christopher!

so glad everything went well -- hopefully he's feeling so much better now!