Monday, December 15, 2008

Life's burning questions

For about the past couple months, John's two biggest questions (besides "What?") have been "Are you happy?" and "Are you big?" I think the "big" refers to the idea of being a "big kid" rather than physical size.
Today he moved toward the biggest question yet in our family's short life: "Why?" He asked it on several occasions today, but so far only twice in succession on the same topic.
Over margaritas with friend Kerri tonight, I figured out that the alternate answer to the standby "Because I said so": when I get to the end of my scope in the answers to "Why?" I will answer "Because, chicken fuzz."

Ok, so maybe it's funny only if you've had two margaritas...

3 comments:

Jenny said...

I love it!! I'll definitely file that one away for when Naomi begins the "why?" phase.

BTW, I'm so glad you have Kerri (and the margaritas!) to figure all this stuff out and that you then share it with the rest of us trailing behind you in the child development cycle!

Thanks for being first. :)

Juliet said...

Yes, I am very thankful for Kerri and margaritas too!

jessica v. said...

I was trying to work out if there is Cockney Rhyming Slang, for "because" but there doesn't seem to be...so I think you've just invented it! But for it to work, you have to get to a point where in response to "why" all you say is "chicken fuzz". I think John'll get it.

Dude, if we can get him using cockney rhyming slang he'll be the COOLEST kid at his school...