Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy British New Year

Because the kids are usually in bed by 8pm, I came up with the idea of celebrating New Year's eve on British time, which is five hours ahead of us. So we counted down to 7pm. We also arranged to Skype with Jessica and so we got to cheer the New Year in with an actual Brit (or dual American-Brit) as well! It worked great!
We had dinner with James's family, then played for a little bit, then it was time for "midnight." We counted down with the computer clock and Jessica in the kitchen and used our mini band instruments as noisemakers. Then we went outside to light sparklers and throw poppers on the ground.



We came back inside for some culinary fireworks of Kerri flipping crepes while the kids ate purple cows (grape soda-ice cream smoothies).


The results were yummy and impressive!

Judging by the noise level, everyone had a great time!

Oh, I just had a great idea! Next year, we'll celebrate on British time again, and have a pub dinner! Awesome. I am so smart. S-M-R-T. I mean S-M-A-R-T.

4 comments:

Christine said...

Looks like you all had fun! Love that idea! I wanted to celebrate to Eastern time since people had to drive home after and I didn't want them sticking around forever...Olivia gets up early! But, alas, games and talking defaulted that idea to a no!

wirrek said...

Man, I will practice those crepes so I don't look so freaked out next time.

Jenny said...

great idea indeed!

glad i got to be a little part of it too -- i enjoyed eavesdropping on the party! ;)

i'm so glad i have a smrt big sister to learn from.

Jessica said...

It was a lot of fun from our end, too. I will definitely work on my audio description of fireworks for next year.

I'm so glad Jenny and Mom and Dad also got to join in, too!