Monday, August 17, 2009

Back to school for Tony

This past weekend was a bit of a "get your life in order" weekend for us. Tony wrapped up the last details of his tenure and promotion review packets, which will go out to the external reviewers (hopefully today). Then he started working on Twohy's room, shelves, bookcases, and starting to hang the roller shade. He also started going through and organizing about 10 years of tax documents, which were in several different locations in the house and office.
John was amazingly cooperative. He wasn't really happy about not getting all the attention he demanded, but we had relatively few meltdowns. And he didn't spend the WHOLE weekend in front of the TV.
I did more cleaning out of Twohy's closet, purging and prepping for my favorite semi-annual consignment sale, framed some pictures, cleaned out the fridge (this was the big one: I took out all the drawers and shelves and washed them and cleaned out the fridge itself), ran a couple errands, organized the BIG to-do list, and laundry, laundry, laundry.

I made a quick trip to Goodwill on Saturday afternoon because I had a compulsion to see if they had the perfect lamp for Twohy's room. They didn't. But when I was in line waiting to pay for two bath books for Twohy, I was behind a cute older couple who were purchasing two posters that I had donated the day before!! I felt very glad they were going to a "good home" and that I got to see their new owners. Plus, it was gratifying that the posters were sold so quickly! It was kind of an amazing coincidence, the result of me following a compulsion without doubting myself (a rare occurrence, but one I love!)

So of course, we didn't get everything on my list done, not by a long shot, but we did accomplish a LOT, and Twohy's room will be "ready" soon.

Tony starts class on Wednesday, but the meetings started today. His life will go into high gear in about a week and a half, when he starts focus and tech rehearsals for his first show in Greenville. Then, it's pretty much non-stop until Twohy arrives... Now that John is 3 and can do lots of stuff by himself and can communicate (when he's not having a temper tantrum), I'm not as freaked out by Tony's crazy work schedule... but of course, we'll see as time goes on. It will go by even faster now!

5 comments:

jessica v. said...

That's so great about the posters. By the way, what were they of?

Congrats on getting stuff done - it's a good feeling!

Will you be able to post a picture of Twohy's room when it's ready? No pressure, though!

Juliet said...

One poster was of an abstract piano, with a green background. The other was a red background with a girl and a Boston terrier. I think it was a reproduction of a French advertisement for cookies or something.

I will definitely post a pic of Twohy's room. I just want to get it all finished first. It will probably be a couple of weeks now, though... hopefully I can get it done before you guys get here to see it in person!

Anonymous said...

congratualtions on all the accomplishments.....it sounds as though things r moving right along....we r getting our stuff together for the trip....yeah!

we r looking forward to our month of sept away .....we r ready for a change - i think we have been home for 4 weeks with a few days in new braunfels.....that is a long time for us....and we have 3 weeks before we go to clemson.....mom

jessica v. said...

I forgot, we'll see it in person in less than a month. Hooray!

Jenny said...

3 is great! naomi is so much more capable now, so i know what you are saying. but it's just so hard for me to envision john having a tantrum!! he always seems so well-behaved.

neat that you witnessed your posters heading to their new home. i've often wondering where our donated stuff ends up...maybe i'll have to stake it out sometime!

looking forward to seeing the room in sept!! guess we've given you a target to shoot for, eh? and if not, we can help ya finish! ;)