Wednesday, September 24, 2008

One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich

No, just kidding. Here is part one of John's typical daily schedule:
7am: I wake him by up going into his room, turning off the vaporizer, and opening up the shade.
7:10 or so: He is ready for his first diaper change of the day.
Then: We go in and wake up Daddy or rout him out of bed if he's already awake.
Then: We go downstairs to eat breakfast. John usually checks on his toys while I make breakfast.
Then: John eats breakfast while Tony and I eat breakfast, make Tony's lunch, make John's lunch, unload the dishwasher, and reload the dishwasher.
Somewhere between 8 and 8:45: Daddy leaves and John and I go up to get dressed.
8:45-9am: We leave for school, taking Keats, giraffe, pillow, Bee, and lunch, and as many construction vehicles as I feel like allowing in the car, usually 1 to 3.
9-9:15am: John and I walk into school, sign him in, put his lunch in his lunch cubby, put his Bee, his giraffe, and his pillow in his naptime cubby, and start the delicate "Mommy departure dance." I stay anywhere from 2 to 15 minutes, depending on the day of the week, how many kids are there, which teacher is there, what the kids are doing, etc. (I harden my heart and leave him there everyday, but it sure does break a little every time he stands there crying with his Bee.)

Part 2 will continue with his school schedule!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

another cool idea...i've always wondered how similar / different our toddler schedules are!

and after the mommy departure dance, do you stand outside the door and listen to see how long it takes John to settle down? i have to hear/see her calm down or i'll wonder all day how long it lasted this time...!

Juliet said...

Yes, lately (since John has moved to the twos) I usually stand outside to listen to him calm down. It usually takes about 2 minutes. I always *know* that he'll be fine in 2 minutes, but sometimes I have to see it for myself.