Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Tutu and Ma Bee

Each time Tony carries John down the stairs, he asks "Who's that?" sometimes referring to the picture of Tutu (Tony's grandmother) that we have on the wall. John excitedly responds "Tutu!" Now sometimes John points to Tutu's picture. It's very cute the way he says "Tew tew," sort of rhyming with "chew chew." My apologies to Grandma Henn, Grandpa Don, Grammie Gail, Grandpaparazzi, and Grandpa Mike, whose names we have not so diligently worked on... Of course, after weeks of identifying Tutu and Dada, Mama has FINALLY been identified in the photo lineup!

"Ma Bee" is John's name for his blanket. It sort of sounds French to me. (Or, I think of the Beatles song "Michelle, Ma Belle.") We sometimes say "Bee" when we refer to it, but mostly we still say "blanket." Is that term as annoying for you people out there as it is for us when someone calls a pacifier, a "passi"? (I don't know why I hate that nickname so much, but I do.)

3 comments:

jessica v. said...

I've never heard it referred to as a "passi" which I don't think I could handle. But it seems like a very Aussie thing to do, since it's quite common to "abbreviate and a y" there: lipstick is lippy, sunglasses are sunnies, etc.

Over here in the UK, a pacifier is called a "dummy" which kind of works.

But to answer your question, in my opinion, Bee is not bad--I tend to be ok with abbreviations/pet names that just use the initial letter. Like a friend of mine--her boyfriend is James and she calls him "J" (or Jay, if spelling it out, though I don't think I like it if it's spelled out like that).

So you're ok.

Jeff said...

passi is for sucks

(think about it...)

Anonymous said...

Well written article.