Sunday, October 21, 2012

Life is good

Here is a picture of John jumping off the climbing wall at the Children's Museum. We took several shots to get the best action.

 


Here are the boys having dinner/snack at a concert at the botanical garden.They have free concerts each Friday in September and October. 



On Friday and Saturday nights, we let the boys sleep in the same room. That way our early bird (Christopher) can get up without help getting out of the crib and and they go downstairs and gorge themselves on cartoons without our help. The parent elves leave accessible breakfast (cheerios, fruit, granola bars) on the kitchen table, and the boys are told to let us sleep and work out their problems together. Sometimes we get extra sleep, sometimes we don't. Usually one of us gets at least an extra hour...

6 comments:

Jeff said...

oooooo, i like that friday/saturday night sleeping together idea. we may try implementing that here.

Mimi said...

yeah that will work for Christmas....
Jeff maybe we such try that at our house this coming week-end?

how great for the boys to be growing up......

Jenny said...

ohmygoodness...this is great! yay for you and everyone in your house!

i would love to do this but my only hesitation is that danielle is up at 6:15/6:30 and naomi usually sleeps at least another hour -- should naomi lose an hour so i can gain one?? tempting... :)

Juliet said...

Yes, John does forfeit about an extra hour of possible sleep, but he's young. He can take it.
It's actually harder on Christopher, because he has a difficult time calming down to sleep. This past Saturday night, he called me in there about 9:30 and said, "I want to sleep in my crib." I got him out the next morning at 6:45 and we cuddled in my bed for 15 minutes or so until John came looking for him. Then they let me go back to sleep until 9:30!!! (Tony was out of town).
It's not always smooth, but I also feel it's an investment in the future... once they get it all down, I look forward to many years of sleeping in on weekends.
And in a sense of total disclosure, Christopher spent both mornings this past weekend broadcasting cheerios all over the dog den... I vacuumed it up on Saturday morning, but when he did it again on Sunday morning I made him pick up each one by hand. That took about 30 minutes of nagging, but we'll see if the lessons was learned (Mine: not leaving cheerios as an option!)

Jeff and Jenny, you should definitely try it. I recommend on Friday night, because then you have all day Saturday and Sunday to recover if it goes awry...

Christine said...

That Saturday morning ritual sounds awesome! Just two more years until we can do that here!!

Pa said...

I like the transparent climbing wall. I'm pretty sure John didn't mind jumping off a lot of times!