Monday, November 17, 2008

Virus number 263

Feiste diagnosed John today with tonsillitis. He had fever all weekend, topping out at 104.2. Called the on-call pediatrician (Nurse Susan) and she said alternate with Motrin and tylenol every 4-6 hours and come in on Monday if he doesn't improve. He didn't, so we went it. Feiste gave us an antibiotic to protect against the virus creating a bacterial condition. John stayed home from school today and will stay home tomorrow (got to be fever free for 24 hours), but hopefully he can go back on Wednesday.

Every time I think I have "it" figured out, there is a new variation... that oughta teach me.

At least I didn't panic this time.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

wow, you're good. i certainly would have panicked AND freaked out at the sight a fever of 104...or even 103.anything !!

hopefully this will help me to remember to stay calm when it's naomi's turn!

sure hope the med's do their stuff.

Juliet said...

I just hate waking up a pediatrician in the middle of the night... I did that a couple times early on, and got the same one (who didn't have a sympathetic "phone-side manner"), so it helped me question whether something was truly an immediate emergency or whether I was overreacting (which I have a tendency to do!!).
Also, his temp was creeping up, so 104 happened after I talked to the Nurse.
FYI: Motrin definitely lasts longer than tylenol.