Wednesday, February 13, 2008

There ARE dumb questions ...

... that as a toddler-mom I sometimes ask before I can stop myself.

1) Why did you do that? (-push your friend? -dump that on the floor? throw that in the bathtub? etc.)
Which is answered with a blank stare or a devilish grin

2) Are you ready to ? (-get dressed? -go? -take your bath? -wash your hands? etc.)
Which is invariably answered with "No."

I am trying to wean myself of these troubling questions, but it is difficult. Searching for meaning, reasons, or rationale in the life of a toddler and his mother is a futile quest.

5 comments:

wirrek said...

What about..."did you just bite me?" "Stand up on the couch?" Both time out offenses, but I am never sure what to do when he answers "yes".

Juliet said...

Followed by
"Are you going to do that again?"
Also answered by "Yes!"

Jenny said...

i thought of you this morning when naomi squished her banana to the point that it oozed thru all her fingers and i asked her: "what are you doing?!"

she gave me the isn't-it-obvious-that-i-just-squished-my-banana look. followed by a big, dimply smile.

Pa said...

At least you caught on a lot faster than we did!

Anonymous said...

Juliet asks me those kinds of questions sometimes, too. I usually go with the blank stare answer.