Thursday, January 31, 2008

18-month check-up at 19-months

This well-baby visit was a month tardy because I put off calling to make the appointment too long.

But anyway it went very well!
John is now 32 and a half inches tall. I can really tell how tall he is when I pick him up.
He is in about the 50th percentile for head circumference and height. Right on his normal curve.
He is still gaining weight, and is now at to 21 pounds. This is indeed a milestone, because he had been at 20 pounds for a very long time. Feiste assures me that he is fine. And believe it or not, I'm not worried about this any longer. There's no denying that he looks and acts healthy, so I know he's getting enough food.

John got one shot, but the worst was just having the nurse and Feiste enter the room. It's a lesson in dread making things worse than they are. Here's Dr. Feiste's metaphor for kids at the doctor. When you are inside the house in the winter, and it seems cold to you, if you go outside to where it's REALLY cold, you come back in and feel very warm. He says that toddlers hate seeing the doctor the most, then they start to like the doctor. He says that he and John are at the coldest now and the hugs will mean even more when they come later.

Feiste let me look at John's ear tube. They look exactly like the ones Tony posted on the blog earlier. I didn't get a long look because, of course, we were pinning John down while he cried...

Anyway, our next check-up is at age 2, which is approaching each day! Then barring sickness (yeah, right) we only go once a year!

2 comments:

jessica v. said...

Hooray! Well done to all.

I have a question. If Dr. Feiste's mom reads the blog, does that mean that Dr. Feiste reads the blog, too? If so, can I ask Dr. Fesite a question? And if he doesn't read the blog, can the Feiste Mominator please ask her son and pass on the info?

I received one of those "facts you didn't know" email forwards today and I know that they are mostly urban legends and silly things that people have just made up, but there was one "fact" included that was hotly debated: your eyeballs remain the same size from the time you're born, but your ears and nose grow throughout your lifetime. The folks in the office just weren't too sure that a baby's eyeballs are the same size as an adults eyeballs, and I just wanted to seek a professional's opinion (you can just bill juliet).

Thanks!

Pa said...

"John is now 32 and a half inches tall."

That means hiding things on top of a standard 28 inch tall table no longer works! ;-)